4.30 star(s) 45 Votes

PushMyButton

Jan 22, 2023
finally, I do not understand what kind of incompetent the author of the game is, 1 year has already passed, and there is no information about what is with the game, and it is already necessary to label an abandoned game if he does not answer them

PushMyButton

Jan 22, 2023
let's take this author of the cool Oceanlab game, he made the game for 1 year, but they did it using information and all that, and this doesn't say anything on all the platforms on which it is, it doesn't go off scale and it's just stupid to cheat your fools for money and that's it

YepCock666

Mar 15, 2021
From what I can see in the latest patreon post the game will be worse with the rework, the models look awful compared to how they used to be. I don't know what the hell is happenning to these devs nowadays, reworking games after 1 or 2 chapters only to ruin them, not to mention the damn patreon milking. This industry is fucked up.

DevinHesi

Oct 29, 2021

1717957102289.png

Good day, dear readers of the journal “Notes of the Unpunctual keyclap Developer”. Today we're gonna talk about why the hell has there not been an update for so long. Also, just what the hell the dev has been doing.

1717957419660.png

A screenshot of the new workplace, where the main work now takes place.

Four months have passed since the fateful decision was made to leave Daz and switch to Blender. And now it’s time to take stock of what has changed since. I will compare how it was and how it is now. I’ll say right away that this decision is the second scariest and best decision in my life after leaving university ;)

Phew. So, let's start.

Scene storing // let’s make Blender an AVN industry standard!
Daz: each frame is saved into a separate file weighing 50-200MB.
Blender: all frames (usually about 150) are saved into one file as an animation.

1717957429800.png

It would seem that this is not so important and that the only advantage of the new method is less occupied disk space. But how many games have you seen where the new frame is not just the same scene from a different angle, but a full-fledged continuation of the previous frame? The old way of working didn't give me much control over the narrative, and if I needed to change something, I had to open files that Daz opened for 30-60 seconds and edit, being careful not to accidentally move the camera. Because of this, AVN games are just a bunch of incoherent pictures. The old Daz method is simply tedious and slow, it needs to be banned at the legislative level! ;)

In short, the new method should liken AVN to watching movies

Character Posing // down with FK, glory with IK!
Daz: no controllers at all, each bone is rotated individually.
Blender: controllers that move several bones and some Shape Keys at once.

1717957439472.png 1717957443410.png

Eight thousand lines of written code in 0.5 seconds create a full-fledged rig that allows me to do absolutely everything I need. This not only speeds up the posing of characters, but also greatly reduces the time needed to create new ones. Much has already been said about this in previous reports, so I won’t focus on it.

Fixing Meshes hammers and screwdrivers in the 3D world
Daz: a mesh was sent to Blender through my old script, fixed and sent back to Daz.
Blender: a Shape Key “layer” is created, on which the mesh is being adjusted, and its value is animated to the desired frames.

1717957453370.png

It may seem that this is all clear and everyone has it. But I assure you that 90% of the developers on Daz are afraid of this problem like hell, which is why you will hardly see characters who wear anything other than regular clothes: 1717957469483.png

The Rendering Process // happiness is where everything works as it should
Daz: each frame is manually rendered immediately after the scene is saved.
Blender: preview renders are created, scenes are adjusted based on them, and a few days later the final renders are made at night.

1717957483733.png

In order to not waste time, I quickly wrote a program that I called “kQueue” in a day, which puts projects into a rendering queue. Yes, there are already similar programs on the Internet, but hey, they either don’t work as I need or have critical bugs.

What is the advantage of the new method? It's simple. The quality of each render is now higher due to the fact that more time is spent on rendering. Also, in the future this will all develop into a render farm >:D

Post-Processing // away with the stash of thousands of thousands of files!
Daz: using Photoshop and manual saving.
Blender: using Blender's built-in compositor and automatic converter.

1717957492347.png

Here’s a quest: find the file with dancing Mariya.

With the transition to Blender, the dependence on Photoshop disappeared almost completely. All work with color and effects have moved to the built-in compositor in Blender, which works with 16bit images and simply buries Daz with its 8bit. Why is it important? Because before, in order to perform color correction in Photoshop, I had to make sure that color banding didn’t appear in the gradients. Additionally, in order for the animations to be the same color as regular renders, all animation frames had to run through Photoshop, color corrected and saved, which is actually very time-consuming and stupid.

Moreover, in order to resave images in 1080p, 2K and 4K, I had to open Photoshop and do everything manually. The new method assumes that the raw renders are stored in .png and have a 4K resolution. My converter itself takes them, changes the resolution, renames them to a unique name and very quickly saves them with the desired size:

1717957499874.png

One of the critical advantages is complete control over the size of the game, which puts the optimization head and shoulders above other games that weigh 15GB or more ;)

Our Bright Days // finally time to talk about the most important thing
1717957508788.png

The construction of the city is in progress. The final result will be different.

Well, it's time to talk about the game itself, and since a lot has already changed, why not change something in the plot? And the most important change is that the events are moved to a new place - to the foot of the mountains of the Krasnodar Krai ;)

But no need to worry, Suzy and Lucy will sill work together in a cafe, Mariya will go to university, and Ekaterina will work in the office, but all this will be in the new small fictional city.

But... Why was the decision made to leave Clairton, California? The first reason the survey, in which the vast majority of people were not from the USA:

1717957520279.png

The second reason is the changing climate, which is more understandable to me. Wouldn't it be cool to see winter scenes in the game?

And one more thing, after listening to an interview with Texic (Russian developer of the game Milf's Plaza) and hearing that he also tried to make his game for an American audience, but something didn’t go according to plan, I decided that it would be right to make my game about what I’m familiar with, rather than trying to mimic a foreign culture.

Some new renders:
1717957528497.png 1717957532260.png 1717957535883.png 1717957539256.png

Some old renders:

1717957548922.png 1717957552926.png 1717957556236.png 1717957560787.png

Some VERY old renders:

1717957568227.png 1717957571709.png 1717957574968.png 1717957579416.png

Plans for the future // <UwU>
I wanted to do this from the very beginning, but due to the slowness of Daz, the idea was put on hold... until recently. I'm talking about Motion Capture and transferring captured animation to kRig. In fact, half the work is already done, and I was able to find a way to transfer animation to controllers! After this transfer, all Blender functionality for working with animations becomes available.

I recorded this video to show how it all works:

Regarding the animation capture itself, I have a couple of ideas. I can buy several cheap webcams, “calibrate” them and run them through AI (but not the one on the Internet by subscription, but the one on GitHub). Or I can save up for a Rokoko Mocap suit, but it will take a lot of money ;0

What is all this for? For 18+ scenes? Nope, I have an idea to use animations of dances, movements and generally everything else for the in-game social network, game trailer and cinematics. I don't think many people have done this with their AVN games ;)

Finish!
As you can see, the game is in active development, progress is progressing by leaps and bounds, and in technical terms, keyclap has already overtaken the vast majority of its competitors >:) At the moment, 350 renders are ready, and the release is planned for the end of summer - beginning of autumn.

Thank you very much to those who supported and who continue to support this project! Without you, the project would have died long ago!

4.30 star(s) 45 Votes