Increase in Games Size

MrGhostRider

Jun 7, 2017
First of all, I am not a native english speaker, so apologies if i sound rude or un thankful.

Recently almost all of the adult games, especially the ones with 3DCG are rapidly increased in sizes. From few hundred megabytes to two - even three gigabytes. Though it gives a perception that more size = more content, its not always true. Most of these games have heavy number of images even with super high resolution which takes up most of the space. Do you guys really think its necessary ?? Shouldn't the developers allocate some of their time to reduce/optimize these images so that the games size are reduced?? Not only the bandwidth problem, these high sizes in images means the games take a hit in performance too as the game engine struggles in running the game properly.

I am not an expert on game making, but with each monthly update, the devs add few images and some lines of code right? So downloading and replacing those new images along with the file that calls them should be enough to update the game right? instead of wasting bandwidth on entire game again and again. Is there any limitation to this?

Reactions: VNON

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
I say let the games have whatever size they want because of the pics, but for the love of god, just use the best file compression methods when your files are big.
I hate when I'm reuploading shit, I sometimes extract the files to add patches or extra content and when I zip it I get a smaller file than the one I downloaded... and my computer is 6 fucking years old.
If I can compress shit with this shitty ass computer surely they can compress it with their fucking computers which are rendering 1080p or 4k pics.