• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Recommending Story-first games

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes

365 others

Aug 31, 2022
In my opinion, the issue arises because stating in this particular thread things like 'unless there is a clear explanation of what the tag refers to, I will not touch it and will always press Ignore Thread.' comes off a bit immature, and more suited to other 'recommendation' threads which were actually more like 'warning threads' or safe spaces for the easily offended by a certain genre. Sure you can do that and even ask the dev himself for some clarification about future tags, but here, posting it like that won't serve any other purpose than to make you look like one of those entitled users who plague the forum. That particular choice of words, 'I will not touch it and will always press Ignore Thread', is what makes the difference. Your reasons are well explained in the first sentence of your post, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them, and that's the kind of reasoning we've come to expect from users in this thread - but this other part feels overreacted and totally out of place, as it sounds slightly and frighteningly close to those 'despicable' threads.
While I see your point... isn't these type of comments also escalating things up? Maybe it has to do something with language (I'm no native speaker) but I didn't perceive entitlement nor immaturity persé in FatGiant's comment.

Overall this thread has had several opinions posted that I could think of crass or rude, but it's never been directed to the Devs nor the players (unlike on the game threads). I also haven't yet seen anyone here rallying up people to get or ignore any game, and his comment is no exception.

Imho it also adds value, as he is stating his reasoning behind it. If I, for example, I'm looking for games/vns but have the same distaste for the situations he rejects (cheating/ntr) I appreciate to have an explained and formed opinion like the one he wrote and several others included in this thread.

It also still lets me decide if I want to give it a try or not. Not long ago he recommended a game here that would not fit my criteria, for example, yet I didn't blindly take his feedback on it. I checked both his comments, the game's thread OP, and comments and came to the conclusion it was not something appealing for me to read.

• Red Heart
Reactions: FatGiant

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
While I see your point... isn't these type of comments also escalating things up? Maybe it has to do something with language (I'm no native speaker) but I didn't perceive entitlement nor immaturity persé in FatGiant's comment.

Overall this thread has had several opinions posted that I could think of crass or rude, but it's never been directed to the Devs nor the players (unlike on the game threads). I also haven't yet seen anyone here rallying up people to get or ignore any game, and his comment is no exception.

Imho it also adds value, as he is stating his reasoning behind it. If I, for example, I'm looking for games/vns but have the same distaste for the situations he rejects (cheating/ntr) I appreciate to have an explained and formed opinion like the one he wrote and several others included in this thread.

It also still lets me decide if I want to give it a try or not. Not long ago he recommended a game here that would not fit my criteria, for example, yet I didn't blindly take his feedback on it. I checked both his comments, the game's thread OP, and comments and came to the conclusion it was not something appealing for me to read.
As I said, I was only trying to explain why someone could feel that this rhetoric about 'not touching it' could bring some odd vibes. His reasoning beyond that particular expression is OK, but those words have been linked to other unfamous threads with way more toxic attitudes toward devs and fellow players. So, kind of preemptively, some other user warned him against going that way in this thread, just in case. It was just an unfortunate line in the middle of a reasonable discussion, nothing else. And considering his reaction to my comment, I'd say he understood what I was trying to do and didn't perceive my message as an escalation at all. So let's just give it a rest already.

• Red Heart
Reactions: FatGiant and Raife

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Thank you both, 365 and moskyx.

It is indeed a poor choice of rhetoric on my part. While I wasn't trying to rally or group, I understand that it can be construed that way, because it has been used in similar forms elsewhere. I feel that I am not in fault, but, I am being judged for dressing my argument in the same clothes that people with bad intentions used.

Since someone that reads me, can't be inside my head and understand my motivations, I will refrain from using that type of language in any argument.

I will still exercise my right to like or dislike content, I will still say that it isn't for me, maybe I will even go further and say why. I will try a different way to express my intentions over that title, like, we will not go watch the sunset together, or any other euphemism that I will feel appropriate at the time.

You see, I am Portuguese. While we are quite capable of Diplomacy, we are, usually, quite direct. Yes, we are sometimes very keen on hyperbole, but, even then it is in a rather straight forward use. This can seem aggressive to (but not exclusively) the anglo-saxonic people. I've noticed that they interpret directness as an attack, even when there is none intended. I am sure that I can't write like them and I am sure that I don't read like them.

Using a language, like this, that is not my first language, even if I feel I am moderately competent, isn't the same as living that culture and living it's mores. I try. But I'll never be even close to decent in it.

Thanks again for trying to understand my intentions, instead of reading me as if I was ordering an attack on that title.

Peace :)

5.00 star(s) 8 Votes