Sandbox (BB) or Progression (DMD)?

M

MantisK

Which format do you prefer, overall?
In Sandbox you get to throw a thousand days on the game board and create ten repeating events.
In Progression each frame is unique and time progresses in a realistic format.
Sandbox often feels like more game, but actual content is about the say, in my opinion.
What are your thoughts?

Reactions: DarkWolf2055

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
To be honest I like both depending on the game.

Games like DMD, Dreaming of Dana, Ethan's Legacy etc are fantastic for telling a story and getting you invested in characters without having you running around. Then there are times I like to invest a few hours in a game pottering around.

It depends on how I feel at the time and how good said game is.

I won't waste my time on crap. Once you've seen one groping in a clothing store you've seen them all, those I skip.

U

User_10739

I like progression in a story but it seems that many devs now a days are adding stuff at the beginning or in the middle of a game forcing you to start all over again. Case in point Glassix 12 took me a long time to get 100% of the available content, then I have had to restart again and again while having to endure stuff that I have already done several times (numerous times with the grind). Same with Superpowered, eventually I just got bored and walked away from it. Both games have several unused characters which never seem to be set into action to advance the game, instead you will get a new game-breaking level 2 bathroom event when you are already on level 4 and you foresake 2 weeks of play for a 10 seconds event because they will tie it to something/someone else.

M

MantisK

I like progression in a story but it seems that many devs now a days are adding stuff at the beginning or in the middle of a game forcing you to start all over again. Case in point Glassix 12 took me a long time to get 100% of the available content, then I have had to restart again and again while having to endure stuff that I have already done several times (numerous times with the grind). Same with Superpowered, eventually I just got bored and walked away from it. Both games have several unused characters which never seem to be set into action to advance the game, instead you will get a new game-breaking level 2 bathroom event when you are already on level 4 and you foresake 2 weeks of play for a 10 seconds event because they will tie it to something/someone else.
I've been 6+ months into BB and he re-did Alice. But, even DMD backed up a bit to adjust things. Sometimes it is inevitable, as months go into development and in many cases talent/methods change, so will the game. Others are just poorly planned.

U

User_10739

I don't think either of those games ever took a step backwards or had saves that were useless. While I could play DMD again, the thought of having to start BB from scratch would probably make me break my monitor in half over the top of my tower. I believe I am on the same save file since .21...

M

MantisK

I don't think either of those games ever took a step backwards or had saves that were useless. While I could play DMD again, the thought of having to start BB from scratch would probably make me break my monitor in half over the top of my tower. I believe I am on the same save file since .21...
Well, DMD only touched up some dialog and minor things to fix things for Day 11. I believe a lot was under the hood.
Alice events were added going back to nearly the beginning. Also, this yoga thing, Mom does yoga a few times in the first couple weeks, then nothing. I'm at Day 139 and still waiting for this new yoga. I have started over several times, but wait weeks to do it. I notice things, I think. Of course I may alter what reads like the same 3 options but may eventually have dramatically different results months later. So, it is a toss up. Plus, with sandbox, you can often trigger events at any time as they constantly repeat until certain criteria occur.
Or, I could be totally wrong and the memory lapses are catching up with me.

Randor

Donor
May 26, 2017
First sorry, for bad english. My read and speak skill are ok... but writing... my brain always shut down lol.

Normaly i prefer Sandbox games... i can do what i want, when i want and can follow my own playrythmus.
If there a good story (for me is the story and the atmosphere more important than grafic) i love good VN or progression story games.
But i hate games where I need to follow the right path or i have a game over (i must follow the walktrough to become the only one true ending or so) Games with different choices and a way to finsih the game with the way "you" chose and dont losse are good but rare.

But for both gamearts - it must have a story and atmoshpehere where i lost my reality and play... and play.... and play....
(At the moment my favorite games: AloneXP, Corruption, Daryce, Dating my Daughter, Glassix, Haramase Simulator, Harem Collector, Renryuu Ascension, Research into Corruption, Solvalley School, Something Unlimited and Summertime Saga) and the newest test game is Dreaming of Dana but im at the beginning of the game

Last edited:
Reactions: Hermies

r3ck5

Mar 19, 2017
I generally prefer sandbox, but not the kind that has been popping out lately. If you've ever played Girl Life, that's the kind of sandbox I enjoy playing. You can replay the game in a completely different way and you won't get the same events at all. Granted, that one is really old compared to most other ones we've been seeing and it has had time to expand the world. Sadly, it doesn't have an "ending" except the bad ends. It has a story but it was never finished =(

M

MantisK

By the way, I used BB and DMD as examples of style, not specific games for discussion.

M

MantisK

First sorry, for bad english. My read and speak skill are ok... but writing... my brain always shut down lol.

Normaly i prefer Sandbox games... i can do what i want, when i want and can follow my own playrythmus.
If there a good story (for me is the story and the atmosphere more important than grafic) i love good VN or progression story games.
But i hate games where I need to follow the right path or i have a game over (i must follow the walktrough to become the only one true ending or so) Games with different choices and a way to finsih the game with the way "you" chose and dont losse are good but rare.

But for both gamearts - it must have a story and atmoshpehere where i lost my reality and play... and play.... and play....
(At the moment my favorite games: AloneXP, Corruption, Daryce, Dating my Daughter, Glassix, Haramase Simulator, Harem Collector, Renryuu Ascension, Research into Corruption, Solvalley School, Something Unlimited and Summertime Saga) and the newest test game is Dreaming of Dana but im at the beginning of the game
Technically, either format can do those things. I hate the game over, too. It should be a penalty, like going to the woodshed for a whooping.

Reactions: Randor